I am not sure how many of you already know about this or started using this tool called ack. I was recently introduced to this by one of my colleagues at work. So what is ack ? ack is a super fast and efficient grep. I have been using it extensively and I am no longer a grepper :)
Why ack ?
- It’s Fast : Ack only searches the stuff that makes sense to search. Perl’s regular expressions are highly optimized.
- It’s Portable : ack is pure Perl
- It ignores VCS directories: ack recursively searches by default while ignoring your
cvsand other VCS directories.
Perl regular expressions: For example, to generate a list of all files
#included in your C code, use this:
ack --cc '#include\s+<(.*)>' --output '$1' -h
- Match highlighting: ack has flexible match highlighting, where you can specify the colors to use in its output.
- "ack" is shorter than "grep" to type ;)
So go ahead and use ack. You can intall it from here